Friday, August 24, 2007

Lunch, Laughter, and Hearing

Lots of positive energy was coming my way today. I don't know why but I hope it stays! By the way, don't forget to check out my pictures on the sidebar under "Pictures"!

1. I met with my friend's mom for lunch in the cafeteria today. She's a very nice lady and very understanding. She's been through a lot and I feel that I have been able to relate to her. I had a good chat and was able to get some things off my mind with her reassurance that things will be ok.

2. After lunch, I went off campus to my department party at a restaurant so we could meet the new first year graduate students. To our disappointment, only one showed up! I got to see my red headed friend who I haven't seen all summer. He's moving into the dorms across the from me so that'll be good. RC was there and as always, he gave me a good laugh in the restaurant and in the car on the way back to school. That guy can make me laugh so hard and I always look forward to seeing him at an event.

3. Tonight in the cafeteria, I was sitting with some of the RA's and an international student. Three of us were hearing with everyone else at the table being deaf. As we were eating, I heard this loud crash of broken glass behind me. In a split second, CK and I turned our heads at the same time to find a huge glass vase filled with large beautiful sunflowers had fallen to the floor with shards of glass everywhere. The funny part was, we were the only three in the cafeteria that noticed it because we HEARD it. Everyone else just went along their business as if nothing had happened. We both looked at each other, smiled and at the same time said, "I guess we were the only ones who heard that, huh?" A few minutes later, other deaf walking by saw the glass and informed the staff so it could get cleaned up. CK and I had a very long hard laugh over this because it was obvious that we were the only ones who heard it! It was funny for us to see everyone else carrying on with only us realizing what had happened. You gotta be hearing at an all deaf university to understand this humorous situation.

No comments: