Sunday, December 23, 2007
2. After, we went to dinner at this Italian restaurant owned by this guy from the Tuscany area of Italy. The outside is beautiful walking up with vines and small fountain out front. Inside the place is very dimly lit so that you can barely see. The theme of vines and paintings of Italy are all throughout the restaurant with brick flooring and wooden chairs and tables. This is a very upscale expensive place with delicious food! When we first arrived, I thought it would be just like any other Italian restaurant catering to the American palate. However, I couldn't understand our waiter too well due to his VERY thick Italian accent nor could I understand the owner with the combination of English and Italian he was speaking. The waiter grew up near the same village where my grandfather was from so I thought that was cool. I figured this was about as authentic as you can get! The food was very authentic and prepared in a way that I had never seen before. My mom has visited Italy before and she said this was the same kind of food she had while she stayed there. I would love to go back there again someday!
3. I got the last of my baking done for Xmas. I don't know exactly what I'm going to do with the leftovers but I think I can find some hungry friends who would want it :)
Saturday, December 22, 2007
2. I cooked a huge meal for my parents and friends tonight. I was so glad everyone was able to come by. It breaks up the monotony of it all. It was great cooking for everyone and having good conversation. I made too much food though and now I"m stuffed!
3. My mom bought these HUGE Alaskan King crab legs to go with my dinner tonight. I haven't had crab like that since I lived in Japan. It was a very nice treat for me and it did take me back to those Japan days for just a little bit.
Friday, December 21, 2007
1. Tacos Morenos!! Oooooh...Yummy!!! The best little taqueria in all of the bay area located in the heart of Santa Cruz! There's no better place for true Mexicn food then here! :D
2. Seeing my friends. I can't believe how much they mean to me! I miss them so much and it's been great hanging out with them all! Being around people who know and understand has been very comforting. I can truely be myself again. Seeing my best friend makes all the differnce in the world.
3. My mom's cooking has been awesome. It's so nice to have a fridge stocked with real food 24/7 with all my favorites! I'm gonna enjoy all this good food while I can!
Saturday, December 15, 2007
2. My supervisor made us an egg casserole for breakfast this morning. It was so good and a nice treat!
3. The dorm is so quiet with everyone gone. I'm gonna have a good sleep and catch my flight to California tomorrow.
My parents hooked up a router for me so I can use my laptop. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this blog. If not, then I guess my next entry will be January! But I doubt that
Thursday, December 13, 2007
2. Finals are over!!! Whoohoo!
3. No homework tonight for a change. Geez, this feels weird!
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
2. I got two birthday cards in the mail today from a good friend of mine. One of the cards was very cute with a kitty on the front. The other...hmmm...took me a while to get the joke but now I have a feeling it's something that's gonna be between us now ;) It's nice to still get birthday cheer even if your birthday is over. Makes it feel like your birthday is not only just a day but a week long!
3. I'm studying all night a with The Gov tonight. He's a really good friend of mine which helps take the pressure off. Studying with him will keep my motivation going for the night. That and can of diet coke loaded with caffeine will do the trick! ;)
Monday, December 10, 2007
2. Work went by pretty quickly today considering it was slow. Sitting at a desk is really no fun but if it's not for a long time, I can handle it.
3. I got a birthday card from my grandmother. She sent me a Lucy card, you know from Peanuts? We also send each other Lucy cards since that's her favorite Peanuts character. It's kind of like an inside joke for us. :)
Sunday, December 9, 2007
1. Thank you to all the many many emails, phone calls, and text messages, and AIMs I received from all of you. I was touched that they started rolling in around 2am and didn't stop all day! You all are the best! I even got to VP with one of my friends today which was very touching. Today made me realize all the friends I have. It was the best feeling hearing from everyone! :)
2. I got a beautiful red sweater from my parents today. It's so soft and very warm. I wore it tonight at dinner. I love it!
3. A group of friends of mine and myself all drove over to IHOP for dinner. I felt so bad that I got everyone lost only because I wasn't paying attention to the signs or road but we still made it. I ordered a patty melt and strawberry crepes. They were so yummy and I ate the whole thing! After, we all headed over to a bar where I had 4 Kamakazi shots! I'm nice and drunk now and feeling very good. :) There was a lot of joking, laughing, and good memories to not be forgotten. I'm glad my friends were able to join me tonight. It was the best birthday I've had in a while :)
Saturday, December 8, 2007
2. I got to talk to my best friend today. It's his birthday today so I called to wish him a Happy Birthday. It sounds like he's gonna have a good day.
3. I got an early surprise birthday from Jersey tonight. She surprised me with a homemade birthday cake that she made herself. She also gave me a card and a very beautiful handmade blue scarf. She didn't make scarf herself but it was handmade by a deaf woman. It was such a sweet and very thoughtful surprise. I was so touched by it all that I really didn't know what to say except "Thank you" over and over again. I'm not really used to people giving me gifts or doing special things for me like this so I never really know what to say or how to act. I don't remember the last time someone was so nice and thoughtful to me in this kind of way. Well, I can think of one but it feels like it's been in a long time. I'm lucky to have such a good friend. Thank you Jersey! :)
Friday, December 7, 2007
2. Jersey has something planned for me for my birthday. Hmmm...I wonder what her sneaky mind is up to ;)
3. One of the old Christmas cartoons was on tonight. You know those ones with that look like they're made from clay or something. I used to watch them all the time when I was a kid. It was nice seeing them again :)
Thursday, December 6, 2007
2. My department had their annual holiday party. I got to chat with some of the other instructors who I normally don't get to see all the time. The party of course was low key with snacks and eggnog. My classmates are so hilarious! I love them!
3. I got a birthday card from my parents! The card had a cat looking down into a fishbowl. It was really cute :)
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
2. I handed out my holiday cards today to all my friends. I attached a little hand made snowman ornanment to each card that I made. All my friends seemed to really like it and appreciated the comments I wrote in each card :)
3. It snowed today for the first time! The snow reminds me of my days back in Japan. I think it's the only reason why I don't mind snow nor does the snow bother me. Even though it's cold, I wouldn't mind living in a place that snowed every year. Japan was the best time of my life and the snow brings back all those cherished memories.
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
2. I finally got around to going to the bank and opening up a savings account. I'm using that account to pay off my student loans for after I graduate. I've been meaning to open this account for a while. I'm such a procrastinator!
3. Jersey and I went to a hamburger place called 5 Guys for dinner to celebrate the end of the semester. She's one of the few people who I can have in depth conversations about Deaf Studies and Deaf theory only because she grew up in the culture. I find that I really need to be around people like that. She's a good girlfriend to have too. Anyway, I ate too many french fries and now I'm stuffed! :)
Monday, December 3, 2007
2. I finally got a chance to do laundry. I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance. I finally have clean clothes again!
3. My Deaf Theory class is over! Done! Finish! Whoohoo! I have one more paper for another class and then I'm done for the semester!
Sunday, December 2, 2007
2. Jersey ordered pizza for the both of us. :) I thought it was sweet of her to think of me especially with how stressed out she is with her finals. What an awesome roommate!
3. While I'm finished with my paper I still have some changes to be made. Hanging out with one of my friends while cleaning up my paper is comforting. It's always nice to have a good friend around. :)
Saturday, December 1, 2007
2. The cafeteria has baked salmon and potatoes for dinner which was actually pretty good. I like salmon and don't get the chance to eat it often.
3. Red and I are keeping each other motivated by working on our papers together. It's been great having him around to hang out with and keeping me company. I think it's been very beneficial for him as well.
Friday, November 30, 2007
2. The coffee shop we went is called Tryst and it's my favorite place to go. They have a full bar, various kinds of coffees, teas, and sweets! Not to mention, they have the best food! I like the environment with soft worn out sofas and second hand tables. They have free internet too! Can't beat that!
3. I ordered my favorite sandwich there called "Mary". It's a turkey sandwich with avocado and swiss cheese served on french bread. It's soooo delicious! I normally eat half but it tasted so good that I ate the whole thing!
Thursday, November 29, 2007
2. I got something at work from my Secret Santa! :D We're doing the Secret Santa thing at work for fun. The revealing will be Dec 13th when we have our end of the year staff party. My Secret Santa left me a pretty card in my box :) Hope I keep hearing from him/her!
3. I don't know where it came from but I had this urge to clean. I cleaned our bathroom as I think it was starting to talk to me! Then I cleaned the office at work. Cleaning I find is contradictory in the sens that it's a good way to procrastinate but at the same time, feel that you've accomplished something. Now if I could only get fine the energy to clean my room again!
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
2. Compassion and support from friends is always a good thing. Thank you for being there for me.
3. With the weather being really cold outside, it feels good to wrap myself up in a soft blanket and keep warm on my soft bed. I'm so relaxed right now, I could easily fall asleep.
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
2. Got to VP with a good friend of mine today. Even though the connection sucked, I'm glad we were able to see each other.
3. I spent the evening watching a TV program with the international students. We had a good time and we were all into the show. I don't get to hang out with them often because I'm so busy. But every so often, I do get bond with them.
Monday, November 26, 2007
2. I had a nice lunch today with some friends in the cafeteria. We did a lot of laughing and joking around. :)
3. Work went by pretty smoothly considering all the students are back. I was expecting it be chaotic but it was quiet. Spent most of the time chatting with friends which made the time go by much faster.
Saturday, November 24, 2007
1. I had a great day visiting the Amish County! Originally, 35 people signed up but only 18 attended which made it for a nice small group. We left at 9:30am and arrived around noon at this restaurant called "Good N' Plenty that makes everything from scratch! We had fried chicken, roast beef, pork sausage, gravy, peas, corn, homemade bread, real whipped mashed potatoes that was like eating air, noodles with brown butter, pickled veggies, and real coleslaw that wasn't made with that mayonnaise stuff! Along with the meal they served cottage cheese, real homemade butter, and homemade apple-butter made without sugar. After dinner they brought 5 different desserts that included homemade chocolate and vanilla ice-cream, shoo-fly pie, pumpkin pie, coconut cream pudding, and apricot tapioca pudding. The fried chicken was the best I had ever tasted and I had double servings of it! I had never had shoo-fly before but apparently it's very popular among the Amish. It's made with molasses and brown sugar. To be honest, that was the only thing I didn't really care for. I ended up eating two slices of pumpkin pie instead! :D I stuffed myself so much that I was full long after I went to bed. The food was so incredibly delicious!!! :D I don't want to even think about school cafeteria food. I will never forget how delicious everything tasted though and I hope to go back some day to that restaurant! :)
2. After lunch/dinner we drove into town to a touristy part of Lancaster. Ironically the name of the town is called "Intercourse". ;) I ended up buying a few things that say, "I love Intercourse" and in small lettering say "PA, Amish Country"...hee, hee! I didn't realize this but it was a good way to start Christmas shopping. Most of the shops carry touristy items and tons of homemade quilts and pillows. The signs say they are handmade by the Amish. I'm wondering how much of that is true. From what I read in some of the books for sale, many of the Amish work with "outsiders" to help with their income so it's possible those quilts and such are made by them. Some of the stores are run by Amish people and some from the "outsiders." Every so often, I would see a horse and carriage buggy with Amish people inside. They mostly stay on their land and only enter town to buy goods so I didn't actually see a huge crowd of Amish people walking around in the streets. There was this one area where you could look out into the farm land and see their homes. Their homes are very large and usually have a barn on the premises. Even though the town itself was for tourists, I still enjoyed myself and it was good to get away from campus.
3. The day was so beautiful even if it was a bit cold. Temps were in the upper 30's but the sun was shining all day with clear blue skies. Unfortunately, I didn't bring a camera to take pictures. I was told that you're not allowed to take pictures of the Amish because it's against their culture to have images of themselves taken. It's written in their bible. However, I didn't realize that pictures of the town and such were fine. Oh well. There are signs posted in some of the Amish businesses that say, "No Pictures Please." After walking around town, we met up at 5pm and headed back to campus. I was so pooped from walking around and spending the day in a food coma that I passed out as soon as I got on the bus. Next thing I knew, we were 30 minutes away from school. It was the one of the best day's I've had in a long time and I'm glad I went! I hope to visit other parts of Lancaster County another time.
Thursday, November 22, 2007
1. I got to VP with a friend of mine from California who I haven't heard from in a while. It was so good to see her and catch up on all the gossip going on there. I can't wait to see her when I come home! :)
2. I got a lot of email and text messages from my friends wishing me a Happy Thanksgiving. I got to talk with one of my friends today who I haven't seen since last Xmas. Seems like I'm starting to come of my depression shell and contact my friends again.
3. Thanksgiving dinner in the cafeteria wasn't anything to write home about but it was good sitting at a large table with some of my friends who are also here and their friends. I haven't felt alone these past few days like I thought I would. I think maybe it's knowing that my friends are still here and familiar faces are still around me. Plus it's quiet with most students away. Makes me feel like I have the whole campus to myself. :)
Tomorrow...Amish town and homemade cooking from scratch!!! :D
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
2. RC was working in the RA office tonight in my building so I spent a good amount of time chatting with him. That guy makes me laugh! He's such a good friend and classmate :)
3. I found out some more students who I know will also be attending the Amish trip on Friday. Every year, the school offers a trip to Lancaster, PA to the Amish community for Thanksgiving dinner. It gives students like myself who can't go home something to do. For $20 it includes transportation there and back, a full Thanksgiving dinner, and time to walk around and go shopping around the town. I'm looking forward to it!! :D
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
2. Took it easy today. I have severe procrastination up the butt! I know the next few days will be crazy trying to catch up but I enjoyed being lazy again for a day.
3. I found out some of my friends will be staying here for the holidays. I'm feeling better about that because for a while I thought I was going to be alone or the only one. I don't feel so alone anymore knowing that I will still see familiar faces and my friends around campus.
Monday, November 19, 2007
2. I sat in the RA office and chatted with the RAs for a long time. It's the first time in a long time that I actually felt like going out of my way to chat with other people.
3. I had a relaxing day doing pretty much nothing. More like a day of procrastination from my homework! Either way, I didn't feel guilty or stressed about it. For some reason, I just didn't feel worried about anything today which felt good for a change.
Sunday, November 18, 2007
2. Red and I went off campus to study. I really needed it as my thesis has over taken my life. I felt so much better and my mind felt completely clear. So clear that I was able to finish one of my projects today. Both of us had a good laugh over some of the events that have happened to me this week. Made me realize that I'm getting my strength back everyday.
3. I had a few people today say that I was glowing. They said they haven't seen that smile on me for a long time. I guess I'm starting to find myself again. :)
Saturday, November 17, 2007
2. I finally got around to doing my laundry. I haven't done my laundry in almost 2 weeks so needless to say it was piling up. I enjoy doing laundry believe it or not. I love the smell of clean clothes is what is.
3. I had the last of the coffee cake that Jersey's mom got for me. I've been saving it for when I felt in the mood. I loooove cake! Yummy! :)
Thursday, November 15, 2007
2. Today is the first day I actually have felt happy in a long time. I think I'm starting to feel better about myself and my future. I have some goals and plans for myself that I hope to accomplish after I graduate.
3. I found out the Interpreting Department will have a meeting tomorrow to decide the fate of that girl I ratted out. Seems like they may kick her out! We're all pretty excited about this! :D
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
2. I had a long chat with RC today in the library. His support and belief in me made me feel so good about myself. He's really become a good friend of mine who I will continue to cherish.
3. One of the interpreting students told me she was very proud of what I did and called me her hero. Another interpreting student told me he was very thankful for what I had done. Both were glad I had supported them in their field and hope something comes out of this. I feel good knowing I was able to be there for them in this difficult matter.
Monday, November 12, 2007
2. Today I confronted 4 hearing graduate students as to why they were talking in the Marketplace without signing when we were surrounded by deaf people. One of the girls gave attitude and I had about a 5 minute confrontation with her about it. Eventually her and her friends left. The sad part about it is this girl is a 1st year graduate student in the Interpreting program. With that attitude of hers, she will not get far in her career. Anyway, word has gotten around and I'm now famous on campus for being the one to do the confrontation. I'm quite proud of myself :)
3. I had a conversation with two good friends of mine about a recent breakup I went through last week. Their advice and positiveness made me feel better about my situation as I've been non-functional since it happened. They gave me hope and made me feel better about myself. I feel lucky to have people who care about me.
Saturday, November 10, 2007
2. I got quite a bit accomplished on my thesis today while at work. I'm so glad today was slow.
3. The heaters in the dorm finally work. My room is nice and toasty!
Monday, November 5, 2007
2. Making some decent progress with my thesis. I get excited when I'm working on it. I can't wait for the final results!
3. I found one of my favorite songs from the 80's. The Alan Parsons Project---"Don't Answer Me". Enjoy!
If you believe in the power magic,
I can change your mind
And if you need to believe in someone,
Turn and look behind
When we were living in a dream world,
Clouds got in the way
We gave it up in a moment of madness
And threw it all away
Don't answer me, don't break the silence
Don't let me win
Don't answer me, stay on your island
Don't let me in
Run away and hide from everyone
Can you change the things weve said and done?
If you believe in the power of magic,
Its all a fantasy
So if you need to believe in someone,
Just pretend its me
It ain't enough that we meet as strangers
I cant set you free
So will you turn your back forever on what you mean to me?
Don't answer me, don't break the silence
Don't let me win
Don't answer me, stay on your island
Don't let me in
Run away and hide from everyone
Can you change the things we've said and done?
Thursday, October 25, 2007
2. Our in-service staff meeting was canceled tonight! Whoohoo! We were all dancing about this! These meetings we have to attend are pointless and a waste of time. So glad we didn't have to go!
3. Got to hang out with Islandgirl at lunch. Even though it was short, it was still good to see her.
Saturday, October 20, 2007
1. Being able to decorate for Halloween! My mom sent me a huge box full of Halloween decorations for my dorm. however, I already have enough stuff on my walls plus my room is small. I ended up decorating the RA office downstairs. Everyone loved it! I'm glad I didn't miss out this year to decorate. I love Halloween!!!
2. Having your best friend call you to see if you're ok.
3. Having time to focus on my cross-stitching. I don't know what happened but I have this sudden urge to cross-stitch as much as I can get in. I guess the creative side of my brain has finally woken up!
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
2. I got to hang out with Islandgirl today even if was for short time. It's always good to see her and she makes me laugh!
3. Jersey gave me a Halloween card that she made herself! It looked very professional and even has her own signature stamp on the back. It was so sweet of her to do and made me cherish the card even more. I was feeling really down today so the card cheered me up. I'm so lucky to have met her.
Monday, October 15, 2007
2. Happiness is when your friend's mom sends you good things to eat. Jersey went home for the weekend and brought back tons of food thanks to her mom! I heart her mom :)
3. I went for a walk on the track today and got about 40 minutes in. I was quite proud of myself considering I'm a vegetable these days. The weather was nice and cool today with the sunny brightly shining. I felt much better and more focused after that nice long walk.
Monday, October 1, 2007
1. Jersey noticed I was really down the last few days so she surprised me with a cup full of french fries from her favorite burger place. I looooove the french fries at this place because they make them from REAL potatoes! They are sooooooo good. Not to mention french fries are my weakness! Eating my fries and venting to her about what's been going on helped and I felt much better. It's so nice to have such a caring roommate!
2. Jersey dragged me out of my dorm yesterday to the mall where we had lunch and window shopped. I also got my hair trimmed so it looks a little neater. The guy did a great job and I was very pleased with it. I'll definitely go back to him again. It's been along time since I've made a female friend who understands me. It was nice hanging out with her and doing girl stuff together. I had a good time with her and appreciated the friendship she has shown to me.
3. Last night, my red headed friend came over and joined Jersey and I for a beer. Jersey and I got drunk off of wine and "Red" stayed mellow with his beer. Then my other roommate had her friends over as well. It was fun having everyone in my room for a change and laughing. I've been feeling lonely lately but last night made up for the past few lonely days.
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
2. Got to chat with My Girl today. Even though it was short, it was still good to hear her voice and catch up a little on what's been going on in her life.
3. I got a phone call from a friend of mine who I met in Japan. She's in Europe now...I think! She moves so much that I always forget which country she's in. Anyway, I miss her call unfortunately but hearing her voice on my voice mail was awesome! I haven't heard her voice in a long time...at least 2 years. I hope to be able to talk with her soon!
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
2. I met with my professor/advisor today and got some positive feedback on my thesis. I'm glad I finally got something right on it! I need to change a few things and hand it in on Friday. I'm hoping I can get those changes made before something else distracts me.
3. For some reason while I was working on my bulletin board today, I got on this 80's kick. I downloaded some 80's music and played that while working on my project. Rocked out to Madonna while gluing all my stuff onto the board. I now have Madonna stuck in my head! I love 80's music!
Monday, September 24, 2007
1. For the first time in two weeks, I slept really good last night! I actually slept through the entire night without waking up and without having to down sleeping pills for a change. I finally rolled out of bed around 11ish, went to the cafeteria, then met my classmates off campus for some feedback and support on my thesis. Felt so good to finally get some sleep!
2. I got some great feedback from two of my friends (classmates) on my thesis. RC helped me clear up and organize my thoughts better. I love these two classmates of mine who I consider to be good friends now. They make me laugh and accept me for who I am. Their encouragement made me feel better about where I'm going in my research. I now feel more prepared when I meet with my professor/advisor tomorrow.
3. I worked on my bulletin board today. My topic is "Antarctica". I'm gonna try and post it up tomorrow if I have the time. The bulletin boards are like an arts and crafts project for me so I kinda went a little overboard but I think the residents will like it!
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
2. After struggling with the readings for one of my classes, I finally understood what was being said. Well, that's after the teacher explained it. It was like a light bulb went on in my head. *click*
3. I learned some interesting facts about German Culture through one of the international students. For example, furniture is not to be moved and is to stay in one place. Unlike here in America where we tend to move chairs and such for better view. Also, anyone who is in your peripheral vision is automatically included in your personal space. This includes at work in the office. If you can see them, that means they are in your office. In America, we have a boundary which is usually set at the door. Someone could be standing outside your door talking to you but they are not "in your office". Everyday I spend with the international students, I feel like I'm traveling the world.
Wednesday, September 5, 2007
2. My mini fridge came today! Yippee! Now I don't have to always rely on the cafeteria.
3. One of my friends from back home sent me a "cheer up" card today. The picture and what it said inside made me laugh. That's what friends are for!
Tuesday, September 4, 2007
2. I wore my favorite jean skirt today. I love it because it's so comfortable and keeps me cool when it's hot. It was about 90F today so it was a perfect day to wear it.
3. I sat with a woman in the cafeteria who is from Saudi Arabia. From her, I learned about the language of men and women in her culture. Since men and women are segregated, they have they're own ways of speaking and their word choices are different. She's a very strong advocate for deaf people in her country and is trying to make it better for deaf people there. Her story about some of the meeting she's had with the committee (I forgot which one she mentioned) was fascinating! They are so behind in that country that it makes life here seem so easy. We as Americans take many things for granted...one being our freedom.
Monday, September 3, 2007
2. I feel like I'm starting to get to know my job better. I don't feel so overwhelmed in the RA office like I did on the first day!
3. The cafeteria today actually had something that I thought tasted pretty good. They had this cabbage soup that was spicy. I know cabbage soup doesn't sound appetizing but it actually tasted pretty good. At least I got in some of my veggies for the day.
Sunday, September 2, 2007
2. Had a nice chat in the cafeteria and met some new people. Now I have new people to sit with and don't feel so lost!
3. One of my favorite movies was on this morning so I stayed in bed and watched it..."Gone With the Wind". Yeah I'm a sucker for the old time classics. I grew up watching that movie with my mom and grandmother. It was a good excuse to stay in bed all morning. I'm catching a cold and didn't feel like getting up anyway. All the more reason to be lazy!
Saturday, September 1, 2007
2. Had a friend contact me on IM who I haven't heard from since May. Seems like he's going through some rough times which I was able to identify with and try to offer support. Despite the sad news from him, it was nice to catch up for a bit. I've noticed that I'm slowly everyday hearing from various friends of mine who I have all over. I realized today that I have more friends than I think and that I'm not completely alone.
3. Tonight, I saw the movie Wild Hogs with some friends of mine in the main student building on campus. The movie was hilarious and I enjoyed it very much. It made me me think of my dad with all the motorcycles and such. I now understand why my dad loved this movie. I can't wait to go home and watch it with him over winter break.
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
2. I had another friend from where I worked over the summer text me just to say hello. It was good chatting over text and made me miss my old job. I miss the people I worked with and I'm glad they still think of me from time to time.
3. I spent the evening with my international students. I hung out with a bunch of students from Saudi Arabia, Russia, and Japan. I learned so much about Saudi Arabia and Russia today. They even taught me how to write some words in Arabic. I now can write my name in Arabic and even sign my name in Russian and Arabic Sign Language! They teased me and said tomorrow I'm going to be tested. I hope they weren't serious! I know I'm gonna forget everything by tomorrow morning!
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
2. I got a text message from a friend of mine who I met over summer. She and I worked together at the retirement home and became good friends. She's very sweet but in a horrible marriage so she contacted me I guess because she needed some cheering up. I miss her and wish were able to hang out.
3. I love my suite-mate Jersey...she can make me laugh even when I'm feeling down.
Monday, August 27, 2007
2. I had my first day at work in the RA office alone. Jeez, it was just pure chaos when I got there and busy for the first 2hrs! I was so glad when someone came to relieve me for my dinner break! My first day was a bit overwhelming but I still enjoyed it.
3. I had a lot of free time to myself today which was very nice. I got to take my time doing things and relaxing. I took a walk around the campus since it was a very pretty day. The sun felt so good as I sat under a tree watching students walk by. I wish everyday was like that.
Sunday, August 26, 2007
2. My suite mate, "Jersey", just moved in yesterday and today was the first day we were able to sit and catch up. She is so hilarious and she had me laughing for a good half hour. She's got this east coast sense of humor that I just love. This year with her is gonna be a good one.
3. My red headed friend came by tonight to visit. He's had a pretty rough summer but he's slowly climbing out of it and getting back into the swing of things. We chatted for a long time catching up on each other's summers and such. We're in the same program so we have a few classes together. I'm glad he'll be around like last year.
Friday, August 24, 2007
1. I met with my friend's mom for lunch in the cafeteria today. She's a very nice lady and very understanding. She's been through a lot and I feel that I have been able to relate to her. I had a good chat and was able to get some things off my mind with her reassurance that things will be ok.
2. After lunch, I went off campus to my department party at a restaurant so we could meet the new first year graduate students. To our disappointment, only one showed up! I got to see my red headed friend who I haven't seen all summer. He's moving into the dorms across the from me so that'll be good. RC was there and as always, he gave me a good laugh in the restaurant and in the car on the way back to school. That guy can make me laugh so hard and I always look forward to seeing him at an event.
3. Tonight in the cafeteria, I was sitting with some of the RA's and an international student. Three of us were hearing with everyone else at the table being deaf. As we were eating, I heard this loud crash of broken glass behind me. In a split second, CK and I turned our heads at the same time to find a huge glass vase filled with large beautiful sunflowers had fallen to the floor with shards of glass everywhere. The funny part was, we were the only three in the cafeteria that noticed it because we HEARD it. Everyone else just went along their business as if nothing had happened. We both looked at each other, smiled and at the same time said, "I guess we were the only ones who heard that, huh?" A few minutes later, other deaf walking by saw the glass and informed the staff so it could get cleaned up. CK and I had a very long hard laugh over this because it was obvious that we were the only ones who heard it! It was funny for us to see everyone else carrying on with only us realizing what had happened. You gotta be hearing at an all deaf university to understand this humorous situation.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
2. One of my friends arrived today with his mom. It was so good to finally see him and chat with his mom. His mom is a very nice lady and I always enjoy talking with her. My friend lives on the floor above me so it'll be good having him as a neighbor.
3. For work, we have to create a picture of ourselves using construction paper and such. I had my supervisor print out a picture of myself. Then I cut only the face and glues onto a body I had created using construction paper. For the background, I glued a white frame onto red paper and then cut out a purple heart and pasted on there. It came out really cute! Everyone like the big heart for the background and said it fit my personality. I enjoy doing art and craft kind of stuff so it was a nice way to relax.
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
2. Got to hang out with Islandgirl this afternoon. As always, she made me laugh so hard and gave me good positive vibes. :) She's a very positive person and always upbeat so I like being around her. She's also very funny and we always have a good time together.
3. Got a surprise call from a good friend. I was very shocked and not expecting it. Good to chat with him even if it was short. It was definitely a nice surprise :)
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
2. I made a couple of my friends laugh today in the cafeteria. One of them had asked me if I thought the soup was good. I replied with, "Yeah I liked it. It was pretty good." I was eating my dessert by this time to which I added, "...but this carrot cake tastes like paper!" They started laughing pretty loudly. It was obviously no surprise to them. You gotta know the cafeteria in order to appreciate that comment. :)
3. I found out today that I have tomorrow off. I'm looking forward to having time for myself and getting things done. I'm hoping I can find a place to get some of my pictures developed.
Monday, August 20, 2007
2. There's a girl who I'm working with as an RA. She lives on the 6th floor and I'm on the 4th. Today was the first day I got a chance to know her and we had a sort of bonding experience. I think her and I are going to be friends. She's pretty cool and we have the same ideas/philosophy on Deaf culture and such. She's an undergrad in the Deaf Education program. Oh, and she's hearing just like me :)
3. I had a slice of cheese pizza today with my dinner. I normally don't eat pizza because it's so high in fat and calories. Plus the grease tends to make me sick if I eat too much. For some reason though I had a craving for it. The cafeteria pizza isn't all that great. Either way, it still tasted good to me! Now I all I needed with it was a beer! ;)
Sunday, August 19, 2007
2. I got to chat with a good friend of mine on VP (video phone) today. I really miss him and it was good to see his face and catch up with what's been going on.
3. Cleaned my room and did laundry. Since I've moved in I haven't had a chance to wash my sheets/bedding or organize my room. I think I finally have everything in place. Plus I get to sleep in clean downy fresh blankets and sheets tonight! :) I love the smell of clean laundry.
Saturday, August 18, 2007
1. I went to a baseball game last week before leaving for school. It was the best time I've had in a very long time! The group who I went with were part of this special VIP club where tickets are $167 a piece. For that price we got to park close to the stadium, eat in the restaurant, and be waited on in the ball park in our section. The restaurant featured fancy food and was an all you can eat buffet with unlimited drinks! This included alcohol :) I was seated directly behind home plate about 8 rows up I think. Either way, it felt like I was on the field itself! If we wanted drinks or food, we could order it from the server in our section and they would bring it to us. Nice service! I guess you get what you pay for! The whole time I was there, I felt like a kid at an amusement park. I don't remember the last time I had that much fun and truly enjoyed myself. If I can remember, it's been a long time since then. Hopefully, I'll be able to go back and watch another game. Oh...and we won! :)
2. I got my request and was placed on the international floor with the international students. It's been great meeting them all and learning about their cultures and countries. Last night I chatted with a student from Saudi Arabia. It was fascinating learning about his country and dispelling many myths that we as Americans have of them. He had a combination of SA sign and American Sign Language so I was left to fill in the blanks but I got the gist of it. Of course I get along well with the Japanese students and can communicate with them very well. I try to spend a few minutes with them everyday and make sure they are ok. Right now they're all excited to be here. By November, culture shock and stress will hit them. I'm just glad I'm not with all the hearing graduate students this year!
3. I've seen some of my classmates around campus. It's been good seeing them and catching up. My favorite person, RC is actually in RA training with me. We have a good time talking shit and joking around with each other. He's actually in the same program/major so will be seeing him a lot. And no, I'm not interested. He's been in a serious relationship for 2yrs now. Plus he's not my type. Just a good friend and classmate who I look up to and respect.
Thursday, August 9, 2007
2. At work for dinner, one of the entrees they served was fried chicken with buttermilk biscuits. I didn't eat the chicken but I did help myself to those biscuits. Yummy!!!!!! Those were the best biscuits I've ever had! I ended up eating two of them but it was so worth it.
3. There's a lady who comes in who I've mentioned before. She usually comes in with her friend who's from New York that has the thick Jewish accent. We get along very well and always have something to talk about. Basically, I can see that she's become attached to me. Today, she gave me a folded one dollar bill which surprised me. I thought she was giving me a tip or something (we're not allowed to accept tips). Then she started to tell me the Jewish tradition behind it. She said it's customary in Jewish tradition to give a person who is going away a dollar bill for protection. She said it represents God watching over you until you reach that destination. Once I reach my destination, I'm to give the bill to charity or to someone who needs it. She wished me well and hopes I will come and visit her again some day soon. I was very touched by this gift and will take good care of it until I reach DC. I'm now starting to think about visiting the retirement home next time I come back here for a visit. I will definitely never forget her and her kindness.
Monday, August 6, 2007
2. At work, one of the servers was listening to his IPOD while setting up the tables for Sunday Brunch. In the middle of this, he began singing the words out loud. I recognized the words immediately as I've been trying to figure out who sings the song and what it is called for a very long time now. It's called "Why You Wanna" by T.I. I heard this song a lot on the radio during my road trip on spring break when I drove from Salt Lake City, UT to Washington, DC. Mostly it played as I drove through the Midwest (Kansas, Missouri, Indiana, and Ohio). I like the beat and rhythm to this song, not necessarily the words. Anyway, he let me listen to it on his IPOD and we danced to it in the dining room as it played. I haven't danced to a song in a long time so it felt good to just let myself go without a care. It was so much fun and some of the other servers joined in. Almost like we were having a party in the restaurant before we opened.
3. Tonight I went to the video store to rent some movies. As I was walking out, I ran into one of the cooks from work. He was there with his girlfriend and two kids renting movies (obviously!). His kids are soooooo cute and his girlfriend very cool. We chatted for about 20 minutes and then we parted. We had a great time chatting in those 20 minutes with a lot of laughs and good vibes. He's one of my favorite people to work with just because he's funny and easy going. He told me that many people are sad to see me leave and can't believe my last day is approaching fast. I didn't realize that I was so well liked there until he was telling me about it. It was nice running into someone familiar considering I really don't know many people here. Made me feel like I wasn't a complete stranger and that I'm not completely alone. Also, I realized that even though I haven't known my co-workers for very long, they really did become my family even if it was for a short while. I'm gonna miss them.
Thursday, August 2, 2007
1. I made up with a good friend of mine whom I've known for 13yrs. She's been angry and hurt at something I said a while back. Even though I thought everything was done and forgotten, those hurt feelings were still there. After 2hrs of talking on the phone, things are going to be ok. I really treasure my friendships with my friends because I see them as my family. They are all I have in this world.
2. I deleted my old blog. It was getting too depressing and I was starting to write too many irrational things. It's time to let the past go and move on. I can't believe what a relief it is not to have that blog anymore.
3. Word got out at work that I will be leaving to go back to school. I've only known these people for a summer. I was surprised to hear many of them say that they will miss me and they are sad to see me go. Some talked about a going away party for me which made me feel good. Whether it happens or not is not important to me. It was the thought that counts for me. Many residents at work also heard I was leaving. I got many hugs from them on this day and even had some tell me they were proud. I can't tell you the feeling I felt inside. Just made me feel special.
Friday, July 27, 2007
2. There's a girl I like working with because she always has something to say. She speaks her mind and is not afraid of what others think nor does she care what the boss might say or do. She always makes me laugh just from all the things she has to say. Even on a bad day like today, I was able to smile just for a second.
3. Washed my uniform before midnight. I get very dirty at work and have to wash it everyday. I can't afford to pay for the washers everyday so I hand wash it. It gets to be a pain doing it every night. I tend to wash it before bed at like 2am just because I'm either too tired or too lazy to do it. Getting it all done and out of the way before midnight is a HUGE accomplishment.
Thursday, July 26, 2007
2. One of the girls at work (she's actually one of my supervisors) said she was happy to see me. She's really taken a liking to me and we're becoming good friends. It was good seeing her today and chatting with her.
3. I had my mom's leftover homemade dutch apple pie when I got home from work this evening. Damn, did it taste soooo good! It's the closest thing I can get to my mom's cooking.
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
2. I had a friend over for dinner which meant I got to cook! Yippee! I made my beef and cheese manicotti, roasted potatoes, parmesan breadsticks, veggies, and my mom's homemade dutch apple pie. We were both so stuffed afterwards. I really like this person but I know he doesn't feel the same way. At least I got a night to cook for someone.
3. Hung out at the pool and worked on my tan. I now look like my Italian/Spanish heritage. The only problem is that the sun really drains me. I feel so tired and lazy now! I'm ready for an early sleep.
Yesterday...SHOES, ERRANDS, SLEEP
1. I bought myself two new pairs of Skechers! Those are my favorite shoes and I was long due for another pair...or two! I bought a dark pair of navy blue with glitter and a brown pair with creme laces. I can't wait to wear them. My favorite black sandals with little studs finally broke on me. I guess that means I should buy another pair of sandals, right? :)
2. Ran a bunch of errands and got all my crap done. I was quite proud of this considering I tend to procrastinate on that kind of stuff.
3. Slept in late. Sleeping in is always a good thing.
Sunday, July 22, 2007
2. One of the residents told me I was very pretty. Even though I get told this a lot at work from the 20 year old horny guys I work with and the dirty old senile men, this lady seemed very genuine about it which made me feel good.
3. One of my favorite residents came in today and was seated in my section with her friends. She has a very thick New York Jewish accent that makes me smile. I love her accent because it sounds so warm and friendly to me. I like this lady because not only is she nice to me, but she jokes around with me in a way that makes me laugh. Her friend is the same way. They don't eat at the restaurant often and I find myself looking forward to the days when they do come in.
Today, her friend and her son came and they were seated my section. Since I'm used to her, I know what she likes to order and how to prepare it. Even though my conversations are minimal with this lady (yes/no questions and answers) I feel like we have a connection. I can't explain it but it's just a feeling. For dessert, I decided to write out everything we offer and gave her the list. I told her when she was ready for dessert to just point to what she wanted to let me know. The look on her face was something I will never forget. You could see tears in her eyes from happiness. I felt good knowing that I did something to make her day a little easier.
I see this lady almost everyday I work. Her life what used to be easy is now difficult for her. I know that in time when I reach her age, I may end up the same way. I feel fortunate to be able to communicate with people easily, that I can walk and don't need a wheelchair, that I have full mobility of legs and arms, and that I can come and go as I please. These are things I think we take for granted in our life and I'm glad to still be young.
2. I wore my hair in two pigtails at work just for fun. I got a lot of compliments from the residents and teased by my co-workers. Even though it made me look like I was 11yrs old, I would do it all over again just to make me feel like a kid again.
3. I stayed away from the restaurant food tonight and brought a lunch from home. Trying to eat more healthy since I tend to eat non-stop crap there!
Saturday, July 21, 2007
2. I got paid today! Whoohoo! Money is always a good thing. Now I can go get those Sketcher's I've been having my eye on!
3. After work, I took a nice long shower. I feel relaxed and ready for a good night sleep. Something I haven't had in a couple of days.
Thursday, July 19, 2007
2. Corporate Nazi wasn't there today. Took some of the pressure off at the end of the evening while trying to close up. Good thing too because many of us didn't get a chance to eat or sit down until an hour after we closed the restaurant. Whew!
3. I made a peach french toast for breakfast tomorrow. It sits overnight in the fridge and then you bake it the next day. Yum! Can't wait to eat some tomorrow morning hot and gooey with brown sugar and cinnamon!
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
2. Someone at work today told me I had a pretty smile. It made me remember the time I won an award at the radio station (waaay back in the day) for "Prettiest Smile". Actually, I've won two awards for that before. I guess I should thank my parents for that! :)
3. One of the residents at work said some very nice things about me to the director and that lady from corporate. Not exactly sure what he said but something about how he thought I was a good server and that he was pleased with how smooth and fast I got everything out. I think he requested me to serve his table again tomorrow. Corporate Lady ended coming up to me and said I did a good job. With the day I had today, it was good to know I did something right and that I didn't completely fuck up!
2. I managed to accomplish getting all my errands done today. I went food shopping so now I have some food in the fridge and water to keep myself hydrated. I went to the post office as well and got my mail straightened out. I wasn't receiving my mail for some reason but turns out it was the PO's fault.
3. I saw the new Harry Potter film today. It followed the book pretty well but of course they did change and leave out some things. The movies are starting to become darker for me and while I enjoyed the movie, it wasn't my favorite. It was entertaining though to say the least. My favorite is definitely the first one. Afterwards, I went to that same bread place and got myself a sandwich and some soup. It was pretty good. I think next time I will order the same sandwich as before.
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
2. I spent the afternoon at the pool with a friend being lazy and sleeping in the sun. I felt like a lazy cat all day. Worked on my tan as well. I also chilled in the pool and got all pruned up. It was about 95F so the water felt great and it was the perfect way to stay cool. The only thing that worried me was that the pool looked a little cloudy. Normally it's very clean and clear. Maybe there was an overload of people or something recently.
3. I had dinner at IHOP tonight after swimming. I haven't been to IHOP in a very long time. I ordered the Patty Melt with French Fries. Yummy! So good! One thing that was pretty funny was that the waitress didn't bring us salt and pepper shakers. She set down two small plastic cups half filled with salt and pepper in them. We both looked at it and thought "What is that?" I mean, were we supposed to use our fingers or something? I have to admit it was pretty ghetto and very funny at the same time. I got a good laugh out of it!
Monday, July 16, 2007
2. After work, I went to this Mexican restaurant with a co-worker. No, this was not a date. I made that very clear to this person and he was very cool about the whole thing. Either way, we've become somewhat friends at work and really try to help each other out. The Mexican food wasn't the greatest but I didn't really care. It's been a while since I've made a new friend and it felt good to sit and chat about things other than work and my life. I walked away feeling some stress being lifted off from me.
3. Rented a cool movie with a friend tonight called "Three". I don't want to to give the whole plot away but it's about a killer obsessed with the number "3" in terms of religion. It's a PG-13 suspense thriller so no major blood and guts in this movie. I found myself really getting into it and would recommend it to anyone if you're looking for something entertaining.
I have Monday Tuesday off. I plan to rest, relax, and catch up on some Z's. I'm so exhausted and could use the rest.
Saturday, July 14, 2007
2. I got a lot of compliments on my new purple/burgundy lipstick today. Many said I looked very pretty with it and that it was a good color on me.
3. Two guys at work straight up told me they were interested in me. While I was flattered by this gesture, I turned both down. Not only am I not interested in them but one is 20yrs old and the other 22yrs. Even if they were my age, I still wouldn't go out with them. It's dangerous to date your co-workers anyways. Pretty much everyone at work forgets my age and tends to think I'm the same age as them. I guess for someone who is 33yrs old, I still got it!
Thursday, July 12, 2007
2. I accidently spilled a glass of lemonade on a resident at work today. The guy was pissed off at me to say the least even though I apologized profusely. I have to admit that after I cleaned up the mess, brought him napkins, and let him yell at me for a few minutes, I went in the back and chuckled to myself. I mean with all the abuse I put up with at work by these senior citizens, it was about time that something actually happened to one of them. Heh, heh...sort of like my deceiving way of getting back. When I told some of the other servers about it, they all laughed. I guess it was pretty comical.
3. Work went pretty smooth today and I was able to handle all my tables much better. I got a few compliments from my co-workers about how much I've improved and that I did a good job today. I'm also getting faster at my closing duties too. Felt good knowing that I'm making some improvement there.
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
2. Today I had 3 people at work tell me that they missed me. I had two days off in a row so they didn't see me around. Whether they meant it or not, it still felt good to be missed. I'm beginning to know my co-workers better and it's starting to feel good knowing I can come in and feel comfortable enough to joke around with everyone.
3. I made myself another Quiche today and fruit salad. This time I didn't burn the cheese on it. It came out tasting so good that I had a huge slice. It's my mother's recipe that she gave me not too long ago. While my cooking doesn't come out as good as hers, I was still pleased with it. My fruit salad could've been better but at least I'm getting my daily fiber in.
1. I talked with The Tyger today because I was feeling low. It was good to hear her voice to say the least. I made her laugh which always makes me feel good. I told her about how living in humidity makes me change my underwear more often. Not because of anything sexual or anything. It just gets very...I dunno the right words without it coming across as sexual but...it just gets "uncomfortable" down there and I start to feel self conscious. Either way, I got a good laugh out of her ;)
2. I saw the Transformers! Damn!!! What a movie is all I can say! Nothing but non-stop action for 2 1/2hrs blowing up right in front of your face. I was so pumped after the movie that I had to call my dad and tell him about it. I love my dad.
3. I had a friend come over and help me talk out a major issue I've been having about returning to school. Yeah, I've had a lot of doubts about going back to finish my masters for a few reasons. This person I knew would understand my situation and it helped to tell him about it. I felt better afterwards and was finally able to sleep. I'm glad he was there for me.
1. I treated myself to lunch at this bread shop that seems to be all over the place. Everyone told me it was really good so I decided to try it and they were right. My turkey and artichoke panini sandwich was very delicious! Yum!
2. I wore a short jean skirt today. I like wearing short skirts in the middle of summer because it makes me feel sexy. Not only that, I sweat a lot less that way.
3. I bought a new color of lavender polish for my toes. I plan to watch a movie and do my toes tonight. That always makes me feel girly. I also bought a new shade of lipgloss and lipstick for work. Both look very nice on me and I love the color! Makes me feel pretty when I buy something new like that for myself.
Saturday, July 7, 2007
2. At the party, it felt good when I walked in for people to recognize me and give me a hug. Made me realize that I'm starting to become less and less of a stranger around these new group of deafies (deaf people).
3. Today I got my first paycheck! Whoohoo! Even though it wasn't even close to what I was making as a teacher, it always feels good to get some kind of money $$$ Can't wait for my next one!
Thursday, July 5, 2007
2. Seeing Islandgirl tonight was wonderful. It felt so good to see her and I realized I missed her very much. She has become one of my close friends at school who doesn't judge me and supports me in every thing I do. She is a strong independent single mother who I look up to. She's been through a lot and now she's a full time grad student with a 7yr old son. I admire her strength and courage for going to school and trying to raise her son on her own. She's so funny and we have such a good time together. What's cool is that we're the exact same age so we're past all the 20's crap. It felt good chatting with her and getting caught up on our summers.
3. The fireworks were just beautiful! I wish the program wasn't so short. I could've stayed out for hours watching all those colors.
Tuesday, July 3, 2007
2. I spent most of the day cooking dinner for the both of us and for myself for the week. I love cooking and have realized in the year I've been at school, I miss it very much. Cooking is my way expressing how I feel about someone. I enjoy cooking for my friends or anyone who appreciates good food. I see cooking as a form of art too. I mean, have you ever seen those cooking competitions on TV or have gone to a fancy restaurant? How many of us can turn a slab of meat and vegetables into something so elegant?
3. I cleaned my apartment throughly. I will admit that I am a clutter bug but one thing I can't stand is dirt or things just being a mess! I love the clean smell of Pine Sol in the kitchen. Makes me feel like I actually cleaned something! I now have my Amber smelling plug ins all over which have actually been quite relaxing and therapeutic.
Sunday, July 1, 2007
2. I went to Jack in the Box for dinner tonight. I know this doesn't seem like a huge deal for most people but for me, it reminds me of the boys and when we all lived at the G-Spot. There was a Jack's right around the corner about a 5 min walk from us. We used to frequent this Jack's at all hours of the day and night. Ah yes...good times!
3. I saw fireflies for the first time in my life! Being from Cali where it's dry, we don't get fireflies. It was the neatest thing watching them flash green and white in front of my eyes. I sat and watched them in awe for a while. My mom was pretty funny about it. She said that the flashing light comes out of their ass! Hee, hee! I'm glad my ass doesn't flash like that!