Saturday, August 18, 2007

What's up

I'm finally settled at school in my dorm. It's so nice to have my OWN room. I applied to be an RA in the dorms this year so I have 12hr days of training! I'm so exhausted after training! My only day off this week is Sunday which I'm looking forward to. I plan to use that day to SLEEP!!! I know a whole week has gone by so here are the top three positives that stand out for me...

1. I went to a baseball game last week before leaving for school. It was the best time I've had in a very long time! The group who I went with were part of this special VIP club where tickets are $167 a piece. For that price we got to park close to the stadium, eat in the restaurant, and be waited on in the ball park in our section. The restaurant featured fancy food and was an all you can eat buffet with unlimited drinks! This included alcohol :) I was seated directly behind home plate about 8 rows up I think. Either way, it felt like I was on the field itself! If we wanted drinks or food, we could order it from the server in our section and they would bring it to us. Nice service! I guess you get what you pay for! The whole time I was there, I felt like a kid at an amusement park. I don't remember the last time I had that much fun and truly enjoyed myself. If I can remember, it's been a long time since then. Hopefully, I'll be able to go back and watch another game. Oh...and we won! :)

2. I got my request and was placed on the international floor with the international students. It's been great meeting them all and learning about their cultures and countries. Last night I chatted with a student from Saudi Arabia. It was fascinating learning about his country and dispelling many myths that we as Americans have of them. He had a combination of SA sign and American Sign Language so I was left to fill in the blanks but I got the gist of it. Of course I get along well with the Japanese students and can communicate with them very well. I try to spend a few minutes with them everyday and make sure they are ok. Right now they're all excited to be here. By November, culture shock and stress will hit them. I'm just glad I'm not with all the hearing graduate students this year!

3. I've seen some of my classmates around campus. It's been good seeing them and catching up. My favorite person, RC is actually in RA training with me. We have a good time talking shit and joking around with each other. He's actually in the same program/major so will be seeing him a lot. And no, I'm not interested. He's been in a serious relationship for 2yrs now. Plus he's not my type. Just a good friend and classmate who I look up to and respect.

No comments: